The offered paper is a material based on cellulose with filler enriched with silver ions. The specific structure gives it biostatic, antibacterial and antifungal properties as well as adsorption properties to volatile organic compounds and other gaseous pollutants.
The basic material of the invention is cellulose pulp.
Its advantages are:
- easy to obtain in large quantities for industry,
- possibility of forming a two- and three-dimensional objects such as paper, cardboard, containers and other spatial forms,
- possibility of suspension in the liquid and applying in the form of spray,
- possibility of drying and blowing in isolated spaces.
Cellulose fibers allow binding and retaining the filler particles. In this case it is a Y type Zeolite.
It has sorption properties to:
- gaseous pollutants, such as SO2 or NOx
- gases associated with odors, for example arising from the degradation of stored materials
- volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
The silver ions introduced into the structure of the filler, make the present paper a novelty compared to other sorption materials. The invention can remove gases as well through the sorption as catalytic decomposition.
The presence of silver gives the paper biostatic and biocidal properties. Microbiological tests have confirmed its efficacy in inhibition of growth of several bacteria (Escherichia coli, Serratia marcescens, Bacillus subtilis, Bacillus Megatherium) and fungi (Trichoderma viride, Chaetomium globosum, Aspergillus niger, Cladosporium cladosporioides and Mortierella alpinum). Importantly, in the present invention, a method of elimination of silver in the unbound form was developed, preventing the problem of ion migration. This method reduces the risk of contamination of the environment and packaged products with silver ions.
The active ingredients of the material are synthesized with modern methods according to the principles of green chemistry, ie. made up of a few steps, based on water as a solvent, does not require a large amount of reagents and does not generate noxious waste.
Multifunctional paper is the subject of patent application and the invention is still developed by the scientists from Faculty of Chemistry, Jagiellonian University. Currently the Centre for Technology Transfer CITTRU is looking for the entities interested in the commercial applications of the described solution. CITTRU is looking for the business partners for joint research and development projects involving the above research topic.
- protective packaging for works of art, monuments (including materials of organic origin),
- packaging, folders, envelopes, interleaving sheets, passe partout protecting archival papers,
- insulating spray coatings,
- blown insulation used in construction,
- packaging of foodstuffs,
- pPackaging herbal remedies, pharmaceuticals and medicines,
- packaging, sprays or dips for freshness preservation of cut and live flowers,
- packaging seeds
- packaging for food animal feed
- lining materials (refrigerators, countertops, cages for animals),
- primers absorbing odors,
- bags for dog droppings
- toiletries materials
field of science: ecology, environmental engineering, pharmaceutical science, veterinary science, environmental protection, cosmetic industry, veterinary medicine, footwear industry
forms of protection: patent application
technological maturity: demanding R & D
property rights: Jagiellonian University
variants of cooperation: license, consulting, spin-off company, comercial contract research
information / broker of Jagiellonian University
name and surname: Paula Janus, PhD
phone number: +48 12 664 42 16, +48 506 006 590